View Single Post
Old 15th February 2003, 05:29   #19  |  Link
trbarry

I had figured the advantage would go to these quant tables as the quant went UP and bit rate went down.

At low quants and high bit rates H263 ought to be better because it discards less info. And at very high bit rates you would think the MPEG quant would do best, for the same reason. I think that's theory Koepi used in his modulate quants.

And I don't completely trust PSNR here because I'm purposely discarding information. But I can't offer anything better besides just eyeballs.

My main justification for these is really that you may already be doing some filtering anyway that will remove high frequency info. And, if so, it's nice to do it in a way that compresses better and doesn't take extra processing power.

But certainly if you have a very clean highly detailed clip that you would like to compress at quant=1 (or even 2) then you would not want to filter it this way. It's just been my own experience with my HDTV caps that the very highest frequency details are probably grain and mosquito noise anyway and I can live without them.

But I agree the edge artifacts on SoftMatrix are a pain.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote