View Single Post
Old 30th September 2007, 17:56   #399  |  Link
chros

Feature request (again): cutting mkv file

Hi Mosu!

I have post a small guide on this topic with current tools here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...21#post1050021), and I have wondered how much work would be to add this feature: I think not much.

The problem with this method:
- we have to write the whole file again (time/space consuming)
- the end point is a Keyframe too

What do you think about this:
- add a frame below the "Splitting frame" on Global tab with the following controls
- add a checkbox labelled "Enable Cutting" (if this checked then the Splitting frame is disabled and vice versa), an another textbox like "...after timecodes" after it labeled "cut at timecodes" AND a checkbox labeled "output 1 file", and a "link files" checkbox
- the new textbox would accept only a pair of timecode values (the cutpoints, so the number of entered timecodes must be mod 2): eg. "00:03:15,00:11:56.569" (in this case we got 1 file) or "00:03:15,00:11:56.569,00:26:00,00:29:45" (in this case there are 2 segments, and we got 1 or 2 files based upon the setting of the checkbox)
- the detection of the begin point of a cut-range is already implemented (if it must be a keyframe/ I frame) and the end point must be an I or P frame (am I right?)
- the only hard work would be with chapters and subtitles WHEN the "output 1 file" is checked (if it's true, you can drop this feature for now )

I hope it's really not much work to implement this, so a long awaited feature would be present in mkvmerge !

Thanks

PS:
another feature request with attachments: can you detect them (like embedded fonts), because if I deselect a SSA subtitle stream and I mux the file again, it mux the fonts anyway ...
Or can I delete an attachment file with the command-line of mkvmerge (I saw no examples at the docs) or must I extract the other streams and remux again without it?

Last edited by chros; 30th September 2007 at 17:59.