View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:43   #1  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
x264 - the state of play at the moment

I've been following development of x264 for the past few months without using it on a regular basis. I now have need to use it for transcoding VHS>DVD backup to H.264. There is one slight problem. The "Current patches...." thread has really confused things for me, and all the patches flying around at the moment are completely screwing with my head with regard to what's good, what doesn't work, what's completely broken, and what goes against all advice but still comes out on top.

As I understand it, Dark Shikari has a few patches in limbo (not completely finished, but he'd like them in the trunk) at the moment:
  • VAQ2
  • PsyRDO
  • PsyTrellis
  • New B-Frame decision

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I follow things.

VAQ2 I was following based on the amazing picture quality of VAQ1, which eventually made it into the GIT trunk. PsyRDO has helped reached a level of confusion with people applying various patches to vanilla x264 builds that appear to clash with their intended operation, and from memory, VAQ2 is deprecated based on PsyRDO. PsyTrellis is a new-fangled motion helping bring more quality to various settings, and completely screwing the metrics over. The new B-Frame decision mode appears to have big speed issues, but is much better with regard to *most* content.

I'll say it now: those who use metrics to try and prove something with PsyRDO and PsyTrellis are wasting their time. "Psy" is short for "Psychovisual", very loosely meaning screw with the head via the eyes. People would do well to quote and say "Amen" to get the bloody message across!

I realise there are probably a few major bugfixes to make it into the GIT trunk in the short term, but what I'm asking is: what's a good build that I can archive stuff with? Ordinarily I'd use the x264.nl Sharktooth links to in "his" post, but the PsyRDO and PsyTrellis patches have me interested!