View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011, 11:54   #17  |  Link
CruNcher

Nice nev the 2nd Directshow Filter after the "Cuda Video Decoder" filter from the Chinese that supports nvcuvid for Dshow now
Now there is only a free Nvcuvenc filter missing

Though now that i moved to Sandybridge Discrete GPU DSP Decoding limits become more and more obvious 60 fps (@ 20W idle Fermi + 3W 1080p Decoding DSP) seem slow if you can manage 4 cores efficiently (@ that low power), and in that terms Intels more performant Quicksync solution also beats AMD/Nvidias easily currently.

The major Drawbacks for nvcuvid though are no 4:2:2 (Donald talked about this was in discussion state some months ago) and 10-bit, 4K support (never most likely)

I wonder what Cuda 4.0 brings new to Nvcuvid and Nvcuvenc, they at least fixed some (Motion Estimation) bugs in the Encoder didn't test the Decoder yet

Also it seems clear that neither AMDs nor Nvidias DSP will stay for a long time inside some of the Discrete GPUs lineup anymore it seems useless from a Power, Performance and Cost efficiency point now with CPU/GPU combined in the newer (AMD/INTEL) Desktop Platforms these days for Video based workloads at least.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 26th March 2011 at 12:40.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote