View Single Post
Old 13th May 2014, 21:16   #13  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
True, could use that. Though for some reason, with that clip, applications only seem to detect 720p, browsers see 1080p though, not sure why.
fmt22, a 720p h.264 format, is a non-DASH format which means the video and audio are in a single file rather than in separate two streams. The Firefox extension I linked to can download DASH formats as well, which is required for the VP9-encoded WebM files.

Quote:
Well, i have been there, currently i got 100mbit up/down, but when i had "normal" internet, HD was luxury which i could barely watch, and it was "The Thing".

Luckily internet is developing extremely fast, at least here, it's Fiber all over the place, compared to a few years ago.
You wouldn't happen to live in Europe or near a Google Fiber city, would you?

Quote:
What CPU do you have, i know VP9 takes a lot of CPU power, but not sure how much, so would be nice to know what can't handle the Decoding (yet).
2.5GHz Athlon 64 x2 4800+ Brisbane 65nm G2

(that enough information for you? :P)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
They had VP9 aimed for 4K, so i hoped they would use it to do the other resolutions as well.
Actually back at the Google IO when they first presented VP9 their focus was purely on today's resolutions and quality with less bandwidth. (of course they didn't do this either, but I'm sure most of us would take better quality with the same bandwidth instead)

What happened instead is at the end of the presentation during the Q&A there was one guy that asked if this could be used for 4k content and Google said that it essentually supports up to something like 16k, most likely because most open-source formats are not designed with planned obsolescence. (see: Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio both maxing out at 192KHz 24bit, and yet both FLAC and WavPack both compress better and support sampling rates into the MHz)

Also another guy inquired about Google's use of what was arguably the worst HEVC encoder for their h.265 comparison. After that Google started to push a bit more on comparing VP9 against h.265, but never really came out and specified that it was specifically for 4k video. Instead it ended up being the fact that h.265 was targeting 4k video, and since VP9 was competing with h.265 and was 4k capable, a lot of people made the jump that VP9 was targeting 4k video as well.

Quote:
For those who don't know, anything beyond 1080p (1920x1200 for example), get's in a category called "original".
This is Only encoded in h264, it has(as far as i know) never been encoded in Webm
This isn't quite true anymore, a few years ago "Original" was instead renamed to either 1440p or 2160p depending on the resolution of the video in question (note that even though the format maxes out at 4096x3072 they still label it at 2160p)
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote