Thread: DVD Burner Faq
View Single Post
Old 17th February 2003, 03:40   #20  |  Link
vljenewein

Pioneer burns at 4X

Well, Comfysofa, all I might do is suggest a few points.
I have a cheap ($179.00) CenDyne aka Pioneer DVR-105 model and burn Ritek 4X all the time and no problems. I also had Hypermedia discs that I threw away.. CMC *read above* and they were only good at 1X. My Maxell and TDK burned at 2X all the time.

I installed an ASPI layer from Adaptec some time ago, called ASPI XP and the version is 4.71.1 from Adaptec. It is the one that DVD Decrypter uses when I rip and probably the one in use when I burn with Nero. ADAPTEC WEB SITE Download is free. There are lots of variables in this burn thing. Using the right ASPI layer, using the right media, and using the right settings in your burning software and it's right version. Many things!

Nero just did some work with folks at DVD2ONE and they were working on a 5.5.10.13 version that wrote DVD compiant videos for many of the DVD set top players. Perhaps Nero has come to terms with the compatibility. I have burned the same movie in 3 different way using Nero and all 3 play on my DVD player, yet only 1 plays on my friends Sony DVD player. Odd huh?

So your question is valid and rigetous, yet the answers are as varied as people's faces.

Start with Good burner, and good updated burning softare.
Good ASPI layer and faily current.
Good media. Cheap is expensive in the long run.
Use 80 wire cables in y our computer ie EIDE for ATA 66 and above. no shortcut there.
Don't mess with the computer while burning.
Don't cause vibrations in the area of the computer while burning. Remeber you are burning tracks at 0.79 micron with DVD. I work at a winery and we sterile filter yeast and some bacteria at .45 micron.. get the idea.?? How successful would burning be next to a freight train rail road track?? *grin* likewise, foot vibrations in the room where the computer resides.

just some suggestions. maybe none of them carry water and I'm all wet, but I do manage to burn at 100% no coasters... lucky I guess.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote