View Single Post
Old 20th September 2004, 18:51   #26  |  Link
tritical

@erratic
There is one thing I can say with absolute certainty... it will never be as fast as Leak's MMX optimized kernel deint even if it was MMX optimized. Its simply a matter of complexity... in terms of the motion checking (which is substantially more involved then kernel deint's), weaving from either the prev or next field (goes back to the motion checking), the motion map denoising (though it is pretty weak atm), the switching of the one way kernel between forwards and backwards, etc... There is also the fact that I pretty much refuse to code or even try to make MMX/iSSE versions of things anymore... mainly out of laziness and not having the time, but also because it tends to limit how much you can test new ideas since a major algo change can cause you to have to rewrite all that assembly code. I am still testing/changing quite a bit of the main code atm... I may look into doing optimizations for some functions when things get more stable... but don't count on it. I'm actually surprised it was only 4x slower... try mtnmode=1, maybe we can get it 8-10x slower .

@Didee
I probably generalized that statement too much. Like every edge adaptive interpolation scheme this one suffers from problems/artifacts in very detailed areas with multiple edges/lines. Usually anime does not have as much fine detail like this compared to movies, etc... except for kanji and some other things off course. So I'll take back what I said and simply say that if ELA interpolation is causing a lot of artifacts try using kernel or cubic interpolation instead. Kernel interpolation is definitely much better when it comes to flickering in almost static areas, this can even be noticeable when doing same framerate deinterlacing on noisy sources.

@Chainmax
Aside from being noisy I didn't think the sample looked that bad, it was better then what I was expecting. In terms of getting progressive frames I thought it was pretty good for how it was decribed in the other thread.

Last edited by tritical; 20th September 2004 at 18:54.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote