Thread: fft3dGPU 0.8.2
View Single Post
Old 15th February 2005, 18:33   #13  |  Link
Antitorgo

Hmm... seems really slow.

The previous version I tested got something like 6-7fps now I get 2-3fps... This is with reduce CPU set to false (I tried true and got the same framerate with lower CPU utilization)... This could be because of something on my laptop or something tho.

From the stuff on the AviShader thread...

On the sleep() calls, I do them before copying the texture back, in D3D, as soon as the DrawPrimitive() call happens, the GPU begins it's thing, so any work you do between there and copying the texture back is the place to do things. For example, you can start copying the next frame up to the GPU or any sort of preprocessing on the CPU.

As far as my channel idea... if you are uploading a 1 channel 8-bit image (typically Luma) to the GPU, I'm guessing that brook is doing packing/unpacking into a 32-bit texture (which is native on the GPU) at 1/4 the width. This leads to an ineffeciency because of the packing/unpacking that has to happen on the GPU and just adds overhead. My idea was to upload 4 frames into each channel on a 32-bit texture, then you can run the shader across 4 frames at a time. In your case, it is a little complicated because you have your shifted/multiplied frame thing going on... so I'm not sure if it is applicable in your case (In avishader, I expect it to give me a huge performance boost when I get around to implementing it)...
Antitorgo is offline   Reply With Quote