View Single Post
Old 4th October 2013, 20:44   #20234  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well, the debanding algorithm was not meant for macroblocking, although at really high levels it fixes some of them, too.

One thing with current Blu-Ray sources is that as clean as they might be, they are still 8bit encodes. That means on a really big screen, there should be some banding in some scenes. Of course the studio can dither the source down before encoding it, but usually the encoder swallows some of that dithering, or even all of it (depending on the bitrate etc). So a very mild debanding might even help with rather clean Blu-Ray sources. This might change when we get to 4K Blu-Ray which will hopefully introduce 10bit or even 12bit encoding. So one thing worth investigating is to find a clean Blu-Ray which shows very mild banding which is caused by nothing else but the limitation of 8bit encoding. Then when we have such samples to test with, we could look for debanding parameters which are low enough to fix just that kind of banding, without changing anything else. I'm pretty sure that at such levels the debanding should almost never harm and could stay active all the time.
the eva 3 bd has 40 mbit vbr and a sceen like this

http://picload.org/image/olpdcil/00002.m2ts_snaps.png

on my very cheap iiyama (~150€) i can see some branding. on an good ips there should be a lot. on my asus vg 248there is no branding to see but tons of dithering noise. so don't judge this with an normal tn panel. on my tv is was huge but no time for this now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote