View Single Post
Old 12th October 2001, 20:10   #2  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Continued........

Q17: I have Beta 12 RC1 or higher. It takes a lot of time to downmix the ac3 stream to wav. Any solution?
A: Starting with RC1 Beta 12 a auto gain function was added. One complete prepass is needed to create a reference log from which an accurate required gain is calculated. This is a good use of time and so should always be used. If accurate gain is not important to you, deactivate auto gain and put a number between 5 and 3 in the value box. This will save you the few minutes of the prepass at the cost of dead accurate gain.

Q18: Do I have to use downsampling and convert 48 to 44.1?
A: Not at all. In fact, downsample only if: your standalone is weird and will not play 48k audio or you do not know the stanalone it will be played upon. Or, you have an old PC sound card that will not play 48k. It will not make the audio file much smaller and downsampling takes a *large* amount of time to do at the higher quality levels. In most all situations it is not needed.

Q19: "vStrip gets only 4 out of 5 vobs??.."
A: vStrip does it's own cutting at 1024 kb, that means that you cannot compare it to what other rippers do. To check if it has done the job correctly, load the vobfiles into dvd2avi, and move the slider at the bottom to the end and see if it doesn't indeed have it all ripped.

Q20: How does the DVD2SVCD calculate bitrates?
A: The standard settings in the bitrate tab is made so that the calculation is as near as possible to fill 2 or 3 cd's all depending on the length of the movie.
[i]Needs to be updated[i]

Q21: I have encoded a movie with subtitles, but no subtitles are shown when I play the movie. Why?
A: The subtitles only work on Standalone DVD Players that supports SVCD Subtitles. As of now there is no Software players that supports SVCD Subtitles. So if you really wants subtitles you have to select permanent subtitles.

Q22: I've created a SVCD with subtitles, but the subtitles do not appear to play correctly in my standalone player.
A: First, verify your standalone player supports subtitles. Download this sample known to work correctly, burn to CDR and verify whether it plays correctly. If it does play correctly but the output made with DVD2SVCD does not play correctly, please provide further feedback.

Q23: RMS800 - "DVD2SVCD crashes every time I run it with a 'Invalid floating point operation' error. System is P3-800 w/ 128MB, WinME"
A: This has been seen when Avisynth was not properly installed. (putting avisynth.dll in the proper system folder and running install.reg).

Q24: Which version of DVD2AVI should I use?
A: It must be version 1.76 (CLI 1.0.4). You can get the right version on the homepage of dvd2svcd

Q25: ChilliMan - "Anyone know why i get this error message in I-Author?" MPS error head!;Error!!!; fail
A: Q25 is no longer relevant and has therefore been removed

Q26: I'm having some problems with the NTSC conversion when TMPG is in use
A: Q26 is no longer relevant and has therefore been removed

Q27: When dvd2svcd is saving the subtitle timecodes it says file not found?
A: You haven't entered any destination directory for subtitles. (stopped editing here)

Q28: Wah! It don't work. Leap through 10,000 miles, read my mind, take over my body and fix it for me because I can't be bothered to read the basic trouble shooting skills guide and the Q&A.
A: Spend a few minutes thinking before asking questions on the board and title your post wisely. If you use exclamation marks or CAPS we will delete your post. Try basic things like opening the project (d2v) file in DVD2AVI v 1.76 and see if it will preview by pressing F5. Play the AVS file in media player and see if you *see* video (don't worry if it is slow or jerky) or get a red error line in the top of the screen. Read the trouble shooting post, in fact read all semi recent posts before asking a question. Treat us with respect and you will be treated with respect.

Q29: When I attempt to play my my avs file in media player, to help diagnose a problem, it will not play. Other programs can open it. What's up?
A: First, re download the software bundle, or at least the huffy codec on the website. The new bundle has huffy in it and will install it. This should fix your problem.

Q30: In I-Author i get a error message Maximum 2700 bitrate.. But if i click ok in message box it starts to check videostream and audiostream. When it starts muxing, i-author exits without an error message..
A:[fixed in Beta 11]It's because your total combined bitrate exceeds that that IA can handle. It is probably you have 2 audio streams of a bitrate of 224 + Max. Video bitrate of 2400 (not avg. which is ok). Now as I have said before I-Author only accepts standard SVCD values and the max. bitrate must not go above 2600. Simple calculus: 2400+(2*224) = 2848 not acceptable for I-Author. Try lowering your audio bitrate to 160 and the max. video bitrate to 2250 2250+(2*160)=2570 which is acceptable. Or you could use only one audio stream instead of two, but you still have to lower either the audio or video bitstream. I will make a check in (versions after Beta 9) dvd2svcd to warn people if the bitrate is too high according to svcd standard. Now, after Beta 10,there is an option that will lower your audio bitrate automatically.

Q31: I've been trying to make an svcd out of a concert dvd that has PCM audio...but i get an error when it comes to the Conversion tab: "No audio stream matches the selected audio languages!
A:PCM soundtracks are not yet supported as of Beta 9 but the author plans to implement support some time in the future. [now supported in Beta 11]

Q32: When doing NTSC is force film selected in DVD2AVI? (might be a prob for animes, etc)
A: Yes it is checked when it's a NTSC movie. Maybe I could add the possiblity of deselecting that. [auto mode added in Beta 11]

Q33: Can dvd2svcd to a inverse telecine on telecined (not real deinterlace) video sources?
A: RC1 Beta 12 introduce a fuller and more robust auto mode solution that attemps to deal with these type of video sources via the use of an Inverse Telecine plugin. It will not always be successful, but in general, should give good results. Be aware it *will* slow down the encode somewhat.

Q34: Which program does the 48 -> 44.1KHz downsampling?
A: The downsampling is performed internally in dvd2svcd. I have converted the downsampling from dvd2avi and it produces the same result as dvd2avi. Since it has been converted from c++ to delphi and I've even fixed a bug so I don't think I'm violating GPL. Nothing whatsoever has been copied (like vidomi did from virtualdub).[Note: why use downsampling unless you have to? It is *Very* time consuming and wasteful unless your standalone or older audio card has to have it. See other Q&A on downsampling]

Last edited by dvd2svcd; 13th January 2002 at 16:02.