View Single Post
Old 25th December 2002, 16:43   #10  |  Link
?¿öM¿?
Delphi Guru

Hi, i am glad this thread has reemerged.
I did a few tests with the various DivX/pro settings over a few complete movies, to see how all the various things mixed with eachother.

I increased the RC averaging period to be equal to half the frames in the movies (60,000+) and on high bitrate encodes it came up with better results on the most part than the default but seemed to encode at an average of half the FPS.

On low bitrates it was easier to see the RCa at work. At 60,000+RCa on low motion scenes, the results were rather terrible but excellent on the fast motion scenes. At 4000RCa I got the best results on the fst motion movies I encoded as a good mixture between the few low and many fast motion scenes was struck, but there were edge artifacts. For mostly low motion movies I got the best results using a 1000RCa where the scenes with little panning and movement came up crisp and artifact free. However, panning for more than 5secs made ugly macro blocks appear that got worse as the panning continued to the point where it was unrecognizable after 20secs. Where a background was stationary, but objects moved around in the picture, edge artifacts appeared around the moving objects. File size also became unpredictable.

This is only the jist of what I uncovered. I did the tests at 1pass (with vDub) only as it seemed logical that the RC options would play a significantly larger part. I'm on holidays and away from my home pc for the next month or so, but if you would like, when I get back I can put together some proper notation and screen shots, maybe do some 2pass tests aswell(only did them while playing with the pro options).