View Single Post
Old 7th March 2013, 02:38   #17934  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

@madshi: Some of my posts regarding "Black Frame Insertion" were split into another thread, so please allow me to ask again: I know you answered me on that matter back in 2010, but we're now in 2013 and the 3D trend has pushed 120Hz support into a lot of displays so you can find many inexpensive projectors & flat screens that will support it by design(and in 1080p too, via DisplayPort/dual-link DVI connections). It's also fully supported on CRT for that matter

At 24fps, each frame takes 1000/24=41.67ms, but at 120Hz that's 1000/120=8ms, would that still be too long to insert one black frame every 2/4/5 frames or so?

You can even push 144Hz(6*24) on LCD/CRT and DLP these days, so an extra option to play around with BFI sequencing would be *SO* amazing

Just as a reminder:
Quote:
120hz lcd panels use a process called Black Frame Insertion (BFI) - I'll explain. As was mentioned, a standard lcd has a 60hz refresh rate meaning each frame is displayed for 16.6ms as opposed to a tube television/CRT where each part of the image is displayed for less than 1ms and is followed by blackness. Most of the ghosting in LCDs with a fast response time is caused by retinal persistence, (think about what happens when you look at a lightbulb and then look away) due to the fact that the image is displayed for so long. 120hz LCDs reduce retinal persistence by halving the time each image is displayed to 8.3ms, but they are still only capable of refreshing the actual image 60 times per second, and the other 60 frames are pure black, inserted after every "real" frame. The result is a smoother looking video.
Some more explanations can be found here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_4.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_5.html
Quote:
if the frame rate is doubled, the eye will fix frames with an interval of about 8.3 milliseconds rather than 16.7 milliseconds. It means the shift of the two images, old and new, relative to each other is twice shorter. From the eye’s point of view, the trail behind a moving object becomes two times shorter, too. Thus, a very high frame rate would give us the same picture as we see in real life, i.e. without any fuzziness.
Would providing BFI inside mVR make any sense now that we're in 2013? It sure would sound like the perfect place to do it to me.....and Sammy's butter-smooth MotionFlow in "crisp mode" is heavily based on this dirty trick IMO.

in advance for even considering it.

Last edited by leeperry; 7th March 2013 at 08:13.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote