View Single Post
Old 30th September 2002, 23:16   #1  |  Link
ripsaw8080

Converting to MPEG-4 from a problematic DVD source

I have recently set about trying to encode a movie from DVD onto 1 CD that has proven to be more difficult than I imagined. Chinese Ghost Story, a classic of HK cinema, on an NTSC DVD from Media Asia. After some inspection, it seems to be pure NTSC video material, all frames interlaced. I attempted to determine if there was a way to recover film frames, but in examining the individual fields there is a heavy motion blur there, suggesting the original video was field-blurred even before being converted to NTSC! Anyone seen this kind of thing before? Well, it seems I'm not going to be able to obtain original film frames; and at ~1.5 hours long, leaving the frame rate at 30fps with 25% more frames than I usually encode with, and strongly motion-blurred frames with not even clean scene changes (they're blurred, too), and the video isn't very clean even when there isn't a lot of motion... I'm finding it difficult to encode this onto one CD with a decent resolution. I've already gone with an Ogg soundtrack to conserve as much data for the video as possible. So far, Divx 5 seems to be able to compress it better than XviD, I guess because of its tendency to smooth-out some finer details. Anyone know of any tricks I could employ to make something like this compress better?
ripsaw8080 is offline   Reply With Quote