View Single Post
Old 27th February 2011, 23:36   #75  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3dom View Post
In that case, have SmoothGrad some routines to avoid this (seems) common problem in dark areas without lowering the debanding strength on all other parts of the image?
No, SmoothGrad does just the basic debanding task and works just like gradfun2db, leaving the dithering for DitherPost. I even think about splitting the function again. You can protect the very dark shades this way: apply a curve to amplify the dynamic range of low luma (something like a gamma correction), SmoothGrad, then apply the inverse curve. Computation in the 16-bit land with 8-bit clips is a bit tricky, but it looks workable with the Masktools (mt_lutxy is your friend). You can also process the clip using two SmoothGrad with different settings, and use a luma mask to select the right parts.

However SmoothGrad was intended to be a postprocessor for the main filtering functions and therefore operates directly on a 16-bit clip, so you'll have to convert your clip to 16 bits. Just stack it on the top of a BlankClip with color_yuv=$000000. GradFun3 is a more or less sophisticated wrapper around SmoothGrad + DitherPost that would replace gradfun2db, but I'm not totally happy with its current implementation. I may rework it later.