View Single Post
Old 17th January 2008, 20:53   #256  |  Link
LordIntruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post
I know it's PAL but when you previewed or played the material wouldn't the "Video Type" in the information window still switch to % Film if interlacing showed up?
Hi,

Yes if you preview at the correct sequence, you have to press "[" and start preview, here the information change from progressive to interlaced, you are right. But if you know that, this is because you already made a search and this is what I want to avoid.

In my case, I open the VOB, I press the Preview button, DGindex does not report me that in the middle of the movie/episode a small sequence is interlaced, I presume it can't know it. It has to go through each frame to determine that.

My guess is when we save the project, DGindex looks at each frame (I suppose it works like that) and knows that some frames are not progressive like the others but interlaced, so that it could reports it in the final log. But my guess may be completely wrong.

If that is impossible while saving the project, maybe a new option similar to preview could be implemented that would do an in-depth analysis and making reports. Because doing a preview at maximum speed, on my machine (4200+) an episode of 50min needs 15min to be fully previewed. Almost half an hour for a 100min movie. I can't stay in front of my machine so long, looking at the information tab without moving my eyes for an hypothetical change here. We could have an option doing preview at maximum speed and get an automatic report log that would tell us:

"oh oh, some progressive and interlaced frames detected". And we could also have the start of those frames.

Say a movie has 150000 frames. Only the changing frame state could be reported

- frame 1: progressive
- frame 58000: interlaced
- frame 65001: progressive
- frame 150000: progressive

So you conclude that between 58000 and 65000 it is interlaced.

You can then examine with your rip program (Gknot, etc...) or directly VirtualDub via an avs those frames.

A friend of mine reported me he also encoutered the same problem 2-3 times on NTSC stuff where 2 min where interlaced. So you can control closely and still miss that unique and very short interlaced sequence.

If that can be done a day, that would be great. If not, I'll continue using my magnifying glass.

Thanks.