View Single Post
Old 8th July 2005, 07:28   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer
I had always thought DVD D needed a .MDS file to properly write a dual layer....
I don't think so. The MDS file is just another method to specify the LB position. If you leave the automatic mode in the setups and don't provide a MDS file, I think DVDD will try to find the appropriate cell itself. But take in mind that the automatic method will probably not work (for example, if there are no cell suitable for the LB and beginning at the start of an ECC block.)

Quote:
Also if the .ISO file has the layer break in it, does the above quote from the guide mean that you MUST tell DVD D where the layer break is as well? By telling to calculate optimal this may be different from the ISO is it not?
I really don't know. As the LB cell you selected with PgcEdit is flagged as non-seamless and begins at an ECC block, DVDD should select that cell anyway. But if another cell is suitable as well, it may do a wrong assumption.

Quote:
Or is the ISO made from previous steps erased and you can just remember where the layer break was and enter it into DVD D.
If the ISO is erased, you cannot burn it again, of course!
If you want to burn the same ISO again, either leave the original LB sector in the DVDD setups, or, if you have burned another DVD in the meantime, you have to specify the LB manually.
Note that the LB sector is in the ISO creation log generated by PgcEdit, and in the burn log generated by DVDD. And you can also examine the burned DVD with DVDD is ISO mode to see where the LB was placed.

The warning message in the guide is there to hilite the fact that the setups are changed automatically by PgcEdit, but are not restored to the default after the burn. So, if you want to burn an ISO generated by a totally different method (for example, a 1:1 rip by DVDD, with a MDS file), you may have to reset the setup manually.

Last edited by r0lZ; 8th July 2005 at 07:45. Reason: typo
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote