View Single Post
Old 20th April 2014, 19:42   #16  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It very much depends on what one wants to do with the files.
The VOBs are practically PSs (program streams), and they can be edited in a various of software, mainly for amateurs, directly. Pro software want elementary streams, because it is supposed that one MAKES his own DVD from separate audio and video parts, not COPIES an existing one.
If I want to selecte a scene, I might use DVDshrink in reauthoring mode (mostly there is an I-Frame at scene change). If no suitable I-frame (for lossless cutting) exists, I might use a "smart rendering" software, like Womble and similar. Again on PSs, not on indivisual ESes (elementary streams).
In the age of Terabytes I don't believe in re-encoding to fit 700MB size, like often desired. These are mostly for sharing, as filesharing services usually require a certain size (mostly for free downloads) while nobody would burn a CDR with a movie and I mean nobody. That was 20 years ago.
The only major problem is the NTSC-land. But again, IVTCing a video stream does not do anything than providing an additional step of TCing it afterwards, if one needs to make the DVD again compatible with the standard.
But that's only me. I copied my bought movies only because the issuers played with PUOs (preventing me from directly switching eg the subtitles or audios) or because I had to add subtitles (in particular English and some German and in particular cheap editions lack subtitles - some people used to live in ranches the size of Hamburg may not fully understand the concept of next-door neighbours but in these case subtitles are very handy ). Compilations of scenes featuring a certain common concept I did using DVDshrink and editors.