View Single Post
Old 13th October 2004, 03:41   #49  |  Link
tritical

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if you could comment on the image quality of it besides assessing TDeint's work as a fieldmatcher.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but after looking at the clip it seemed like all the fields had been matched correctly where possible and the ones that couldn't be were deinterlaced (the fades). On the subjective side, I thought it looked pretty good considering the source .

As for posting it in usage, I plan too, but I still haven't been able to find a good method of post-processing to remove left over artifacts as in xappy's picture. In the end, I think I may simply add an optional artifact threshold as in dgbob and be done with it. The major problem is that those type of artifacts are inherent to motion adaptive deinterlacing/bobbing, and detecting them will also detect lines/edges pretty much mitigating the benefits of motion adaptation. I've also been working on a new method of edge-directed interpolation that is considerably better then TDeint's current method, but haven't gotten all the kinks worked out just yet. I would like to get the above two items finished and added before posting it in usage.

On a side note about field matching, the blind field matching of TDeint is actually better then that of Telecide, especially when it comes to the small movement problem (flapping mouths, etc...). TDeint's field matching is currently lacking one improvement that would optimize it for field matching of telecined sources vs finding the overall most similar field for deinterlacing as it does now. For that reason, and that I was a little tired of working on TDeint , I started working on a stand alone field matcher called TFM a day or two ago. The only other field matcher I've seen that can match small flapping mouths in anime as well as it is bruteivtc. Its main advantage over bruteivtc is that is it about 9-10 times faster and supports user overrides like telecide. Anyways, that's probably more then you wanted to know... but I wanted to show that I'm still working on this filter.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote