View Single Post
Old 15th January 2002, 06:27   #9  |  Link
therick
User

"the Windows itself imposes (a 2GB limit) on ALL files due to the FAT filesystem it uses"

No, no, no! Windows imposes no file sizes...the file sizes are determined by the file system (like you have stated here)...NOT Windows!

"does the avi filesize limit of 2 gb apply in WinNT, or is that just a Win9x thing?"

Windows 2000 or NT 4.0 - NTFS or Fat 32
Windows 95, 98, & 98 SE - Fat 32 ONLY

NTFS - ~200GB (or something more than you'll ever need)
FAT32 - 2GB

So yes, if you use win9x, you will be limited to 2GB...but why??? Just upgrade! I have never joined an AVI in my life....and I don't plan to now! I have a WinTV card (very common old bt 848 chipset) with 2000 drivers loaded and VDub gives me great quality and no problems....

so basically I would recommend going to Windows 2000 - I crash less in 2000 dealing with 30GB files than I did with 50MB files in 98...and NTFS utilizes size better and takes half the time to defrag...so I don't understand people holding on to Windows 98 (that is of course uless your card isn't supported....)

Sorry if this comes off as me being a dick but I have had a few and just got out of class with a prof who can only be described as a speech nazi.....

RR
therick is offline   Reply With Quote