View Single Post
Old 8th September 2019, 12:42   #1677  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
The problem is that I don't have a compatible graphic card. And honestly, I don't want to buy a new one. It will therefore be difficult to test if my implementation works correctly. So, if I decide to implement it, I will need the help of someone. You ?

And you tell me that its constant quality is comparable to CRF. OK, but with what CRF value ? For x264, the default is CRF 23, but most users think that it's not sufficient, and use CRF 20 or even lower, down to CRF 16. NVEnc's quality can be compared to CRF 20, lower or higher ?
My main point was that we should perhaps not be too much discouraged by the "poor quality" reputation of NVEnc alone. The poor reputation of NVEnc is often based on reports from earlier versions and older GPU's. For more recent comparison see for example here.
Regarding the quality factor there is no 1:1 relation with x264's CRF, but the same holds for the CRF value between x264 and x265. One has to play with the settings.
I would agree that comparing at the same file size CPU x264/x265 still have the edge, but the say 5 to 10x encoding speed increase of NVEnc (depending on CPU/GPU) is appealing and may compensate the larger filesize for the personally accepted compromise on visual quality.
Anyway, my post was not meant as a feature request. If you should however decide to add NVEnc I would be willing to try it with my Pascal GTX 1050Ti which is - unfortunatley - not the most advanced.