Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2013, 02:10   #218  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
However, a script that ends with an assignment is probably wrong. Why assign to a variable that will never be used?
Who knows what the user intended in such a case?
Perhaps he meant to return the value being assigned, rather than a 'last' that may have been set many lines earlier.
So I think it is better to keep the existing scheme, which forces the user to make the intention clear.
This is a job for an analysis tool and not for the core itself, imho. I don't see how assignment on the last line is wrong while having any number of unused variables in other parts of the script is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
As for multithreading, I dont think creating multiple instances of filter is a good idea. I think avs interfacd should provide filter thread local storage and thread-safe global storage.
There is a "small" problem with this solution - it ties the plugin to avs+. Maybe it would be okay if we were starting from scratch, but with o9k avisynth forks around I think it would be reasonable to avoid coupling the plugins to avs+ interface as much as possible. Not to mention that the core will need to implement the multiple class instances solution anyway just to thread some existing plugins without modifications.

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 6th November 2013 at 02:14.