View Single Post
Old 29th November 2008, 11:00   #7185  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momber View Post
It worked! Which is surprising, because usually if you feed 16 bit PCM into pcm2tsmu without the -i 16 option the result gets garbled. It didn't in this case however, which would indicate the lpcm track out of eac3to was true 24 bit after all. At least that's how I make sense of it...
Well, if eac3to reports 16bit in its bitdepth statistics, that's just saying how many bits are filled with actual information. The bitdepth analyzation statistic does not say in which bitdepth the data is packaged. You can have 16 actual bits in a 24bit transport, or 20 actual bits in a 24bit transport, or 16 actual bits in a 32bit transport. That's all possible. A TrueHD track is usually something between 16-24 actual bits, but it's always a 24bit transport. eac3to does change the transport from 24bit to 16bit (by stripping the zero bytes) if the whole TrueHD track is only 16bit. So in such cases you have to use "-i 16" for pcm2tsmu. But for all other TrueHD tracks the transport is left at 24bit.

Or in other words: The pcm2tsmu switches must be set to the transport bitdepth and not to the number of bits which are non-zero inside of the transport. pcm2tsmu doesn't care how many bits are zero or non-zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
madshi, could you please add a switch that just demuxes audio stream(s) in their state as they originally are
Igoring or working around errors has been requested a thousand times already and it's on my to do list - just like a dozen of other important things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Is there any reason not to demux to raw video?
Depends on your final target. If you want to end up with an MKV then it's best to let eac3to create that MKV. If you want to end up with a TS, then you should do whatever works best with tsMuxeR. If tsMuxeR handles raw video streams better than MKVs then I don't see any problems using raw video streams. You do lose the timestamps created by eac3to in that case, but that's not really a problem - unless there are gaps/overlaps in the video track, which is extremely rare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momber View Post
I'm working on The Descent right now and eac3to gives me only 5.1 when demuxing to lpcm. I've also tried the -8 option but the output was the same: 5.1.
What am I doing wrong here?
My English The Descent PCM track is 7.1 (reported as 6.1 on the back cover). Maybe you have a different version of The Descent? Does eac3to report 5.1 or 7.1 in the track listing?