View Single Post
Old 19th September 2017, 10:16   #22  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
Yes they do. Not everyone uses non-standard viewing methods and stupid smart-tv's that won't play correctly. Don't project your lower standards onto others..
Did you have a bad experience with a particular TV, because I think you'll find a smart TV is a fairly standard way to view video.
Honestly... High Profile, Level 4.1 support is fairly universal now. The hardware decoder in my 6yo Android smartphone has no problem decoding 1080p, and like virtually every media playing device made today that isn't a Bluray player, it has no disc drive.

Even my 81yo mother has a hard drive connected to the USB input of her smart TV and it'll play all the common formats. The only thing it doesn't do is display anamorphic MKVs/MP4s correctly so I resize everything to square pixels. These days, when she buys a DVD, she gives it to me to rip/re-encode and put on the hard drive for her.

Probably the best media player in our house is the 5yo Sony Bluray player. Like virtually all Bluray players now, it can play video via it's USB input. It supports anamorphic MKVs/MP4s correctly and doesn't care about the resolution. It'll cope with extremely high bitrates (high enough to make my old video card's hardware decoder stutter), and like the TV's media player it doesn't require the use of restrictive Bluray compatibility settings when encoding.

Not that it's as much of a problem in PAL-Land as most PAL players/TVs seem to be NTSC devices with PAL abilities tacked on and therefore they'll play either format, but if you live in NTSC-Land you'll probably find any player that'll play video via a USB input won't care about the frame rate, unless of course you burn it to disc in an "industry standard" format. It probably won't be bothered by variable frame rate video either.

My standards aren't lower. If anything they're higher because they're not unnecessarily restricted.

Last edited by hello_hello; 20th September 2017 at 04:06.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote