View Single Post
Old 5th May 2011, 03:54   #7600  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricks2222 View Post
To obtain a PERFECT fluidity with a LCD monitor and madvr (i have a 226bw), all you have to do is to add a custom resolution with a refresh rate of 47.952 (23.976*2) OR 71.928 (23.976*3)
No, film should be played back at multiples of 24.000, this requires using Reclock.

It is almost impossible to get a perfect 24/1.001 out of a PC to sync up with files (even though many are 24.000 on the disc) so Reclock is essential for smooth playback anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricks2222 View Post
Yeah, i still have 1 frame drop every 30 minutes or so at 47.952 and every 45minutes at 71.928 but i think i can live with that
Any frame drops during film playback are obvious and unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I hope/plan to move to an LCOS/SXRD 3D projector soon, but again, I'll need to split the signal with an HDMI splitter. So I need to find a PC monitor that will run 1920x1080 24p at the very least - not easy as far as I can tell.
My recommendation would be to go for a D-ILA projector. SXRD has longevity issues, and I have never seen a high-end device using "LCoS". (typically cheap pocket projectors or budget models these days)

I have had a 3DTV for about 6 months now. I don't feel that 3D is worth it. Most pre-baked 3D content is not tuned well I feel (wrong convergence/depth) and while I can play games in 3D at 60fps on my new system, after a couple of days of building it and buying the 3DTV Play kit, I haven't gone back to it. By all means buy a projector that supports 3D, but don't choose a specific model for 3D.

I only have a 3DTV because I had to get one to get an LED backlit LCD rather than edge-lit. It was a nominal fee to add the 3D glasses, which is the only reason I have a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
LCDs don't flicker. Plasmas do (mine runs 24p at 48hz and there's still a slight flicker).

Perhaps I should have said "accepts" 24p, and runs it at a clean multiple (not 60hz!!).
All good displays flicker. For me, plasma flicker is worse than CRT at the same refresh rate. Even 100Hz plasma is unwatchable to me.

I had a CRT running at 48Hz for quite some time without too much trouble. (but after a long day, I didn't want to watch it)

High end LCDs also flicker using backlight scanning. This is the least intrusive flickering of a display that I have seen, but even then I will sometimes disable it if I feel a headache coming on. (it's rare, but happens maybe once or twice a month)

Actually, most LCDs also have a habit of flickering when you turn the backlight down. It was not a problem with older models, but they do it differently now to save more energy, which results in it flickering. (and a slight buzz from the display many times)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote