Thread: VC-1 and H264
View Single Post
Old 30th July 2007, 23:10   #40  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Agreed. Personally I think VC-1 is useless; its only advantage is lower playback processor requirement, which it gets at the cost of a massive loss in quality (or better said, a much higher bitrate required for the same quality). All it has going for it is that its mildly better than MPEG-4 ASP. And with computers constantly getting faster, a lower processor requirement becomes a useless feature in the long-term.

Yet without competition, we'd probably still be using something like VP3. So in that sense, VC-1 for the win.
Eh i don't find it ok sure VP3 isn't better as VC-1 but @ the time it was released it was a match for Mpeg-4 ASP and ON2 allways fought against multi billion dollar companies (and Open Sourced VP3 for Theora) with less resources and does great if you ask me (just look @ the flash deal) it's research is top and now look @ the size of Microsoft Research and Compare it with On2 hehe also Real Video is based on H.264 we all know On2 is based on their realy own researched stuff (they developed Vector and Wavelet based Video Codecs early on) not like Microsoft being Chair of VQEG for H.264 and discussing every tech aspect of it over and over in hundreds of meetings (and finaly stab it in the back).
Btw do you know why Bill Gates has this Vision of the Future and why he writes so cool books about it is because he stands at the first line with MS Research and gathers all his Intel about the Future from them :P it's not our Future he Visionizes it's the Future MS Research creates for him.

And about the Bundle Video Codec stuff with the OS Apple does exactly the same thing with H.264 (it's implemented deep in the OS all the applications can make use of it) don't forget they where major devs and contributed the Container but in all the way they Market it much better then Microsoft and whole Hollywood stands behind them (you never gonna see a PC Notebook in Movies allways those nice IBooks ) that's a hard breed for MS and everything MS does is copying all the way and that badly look for example @ Apples trailer Page and then Compare with Microsofts *rofl*

But Sometimes i really wonder if MS Research is really that great for example the thing with the Xbox 360 and the Dashboard AVC playback thing lol i can only lough about this (why to buy this high tech shit if i can build me a unrestricted player) it's so ridicoulus but that's how Microsoft is restricting restricting and restricting but hey Sony isn't any better :P

PS: WOW (not Vista related) i didn't use the $

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 30th July 2007 at 23:39.