View Single Post
Old 15th November 2008, 00:58   #223  |  Link
Bradskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
First point out the way: NEVER INSTALL "A CODEC PACK"

Right, back to the question at hand, strange it appears when you did the codec update. Do you have NORTON (SYMANTEC) anti-virus or security program (or similar) installed by any chance?

The problem (error displayed) has been around for years and it has something to do with the way "avs2avi" interacts with the codec and/or scripts files made by the codec or the codec itself interacting with the scripts files it uses.

VirtualDubMod, a few years ago, used to bring up the same error, it used to trip norton anti-virus up, norton didn't like the way it was accessing a file even though all was OK or something like that, can't remember all the details, I've slept since then........

VirtualDubMod was eventually fixed to cure the problem, now take the fact AVS2AVI was built using/from VirtualDubMod code, and guess what, AVS2AVI was never fixed and I think development on it ceased years ago. It would be great if this was addressed.

So all I can suggest for now is........ Turn off, disabled Norton (or similar) during the encoding process or better still, dump Norton and get a proper virus checker

Hope all goes well, and give us an update.

Thanks for your response, but no, I do not have Norton AV or any similar program on the machine. This is my media center PC, I access the Internet from it VERY little, and primarily (almost exclusively) use it to encode and play video. I don't use codec packs either. I've installed DivX, Xvid (maybe, don't use it much), and AC3Filter.

It is strange this only occured after installing 6.8.5. The problem went away again after I re-installed 6.8.4, although I was very annoyed to discover that DivX doesn't keep or allow older versions to be available anywhere. Luckily I still had the previous installer in my temp cache. I may give 6.8.5 another shot since I know I can still revert back, maybe it was a fluke.

Last edited by Bradskey; 15th November 2008 at 01:02.
Bradskey is offline   Reply With Quote