View Single Post
Old 31st July 2016, 01:27   #38986  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Dithering does add noise, it spreads the error out so on average pixels will have the right color. This is best seen on a video of a still image with "change dither for every frame" checked (and playback not paused). The result will be slightly more noisy, but the colors should be much more correct on average.

Since your panel is 6-bit (it may have its own high frequency dithering up to 8-bit, usually indicated with the acronym "FRC"), have you tried telling madVR this by settings its "native display bitdepth" to 6 bit in the devices section? 8 bit dithering should be almost imperceptible, so I expect that 6 bit dithering will be more noisy, not less - but 6 bit does match your display.
I've been using 10 bit in display setup, since setting that to 6 bit seemed to affect the image in a negative way, seemed to induce more noise. I think that you're right and the display already applies a layer of dithering over the image. It's theoretically capable of a bit larger color space coverage than an average LCD despite being 6bit, so I think it has some software doing this.

Maybe this is how it works for this display only... Too bad it almost the universal display for 17" FHD high end gaming laptops. It's even Gsync capable, but not on my Acer...

I guess that I'll probably note a change on the settings I recommend after getting a 99% adobeRGB display to work on
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote