Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2013, 01:48   #216  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

If I understand correctly, the proposal is that a script that ends with an assignment should return 'last', instead of a 'void' value as currently. I assume the same would apply to functions ending with an assignment (and also to Eval() contents).

I don't expect any currently working scripts (or functions) would break as a result.
However, a script that ends with an assignment is probably wrong. Why assign to a variable that will never be used?
Who knows what the user intended in such a case?
Perhaps he meant to return the value being assigned, rather than a 'last' that may have been set many lines earlier.
So I think it is better to keep the existing scheme, which forces the user to make the intention clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wOxxOm View Post
There won't be any perceivable penalty at all in case avisynth+ would implicitly add 'last' only to the end of a scope (function/eval snippet/entire script).
However, it must only do this for assignments. With the existing data structures, at the time the end of the scope is being evaluated, you no longer know whether you had an assignment - and when evaluating an assignment, you don't know whether it's the last thing in its scope. So the simplest implementation, if going ahead with this, would be for all assignments to return 'last' as their value.