View Single Post
Old 17th July 2019, 22:33   #470  |  Link
j82k

I wouldn't be surprised if the cause of the increased banding on LG Oleds in pc-mode isn't the 4:4:4 chroma but the low input lag. Because I also noticed increased banding in non-pc mode when using the game preset which gives the same 21ms of input lag as pc-mode does.

I noticed this while playing the game 'Observer' on the nintendo switch which has some very dark scenes with lots of near-black gradients. Going back and forth between the game preset and a non-game preset is almost instant so it's easy to see the difference. Of course all picture processing was disabled when I did this.
There probably is some less accurate processing going on internally to archive lowest possible input lag. If this is the case then it's a shame the TV doesn't offer a 4:4:4 mode with higher input lag and no banding problems.

I'm not saying that what Stacey Spears wrote is wrong but there is more to it than that. There is the absolutely terrible banding in pc mode with 10-bit output but then there is also the only slightly worse banding with 8-bit output, which most people probably just don't notice.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote