View Single Post
Old 19th November 2009, 05:55   #1  |  Link
MCSmarties

VirtualDub(Mod) keeps crashing and you can't figure out why? Read this!

This is not a request for help but some information I would like to share with the community.

Lately I have been having serious trouble backing up DVDs to DivX / XviD movies. Anytime VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod would start encoding a video (even just for a compressibility test), it would crash.

No matter whether I used AutoGK, Gordian Knot, VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod, uninstalled and reinstalled the programs, removed all codecs, installed new codecs, old codecs, indivually, as a pack,
encode with DivX and even DivX ;-) 3.11, encode with XviD, encode with x264, turn the AVIFile proxy on or off... nothing I tried would work!

Windows would give one the following error messages:

Code:
"VirtualDubMod has encountered an error and needs to close".

"Instruction at "XXXXXXXXX" has referred to memory at "XXXXXXXXX". Memory can't be "read". Press "OK" to close VirtualDubMod"
Looking through the log files, I would also get different messages. Unfortunately I don't remember all of the messages I'd get (there were at least 3 or 4 different ones), but I do remember the following two:

Code:
"frames.log cannot be found"

"(...).stats file is in use"
Most frustrating of all was that sometimes the movie would start encoding but crash at a random point later.

Despite searching every video help forum I could find and following all kinds of suggestions, nothing would help.

Sounds familiar? I stumbled by chance on the solution, which I haven't found posted anywhere:

The culprit may be Microsoft Visual C++!

I found that I had both Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 installed. Once I uninstalled the 2005 version - bingo, everything worked again!
I believe that I ended up with two versions of Visual C++ after I installed the (ubiquitous) ffdshow codec.

Hope this may help some other desperate souls.
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote