View Single Post
Old 29th July 2018, 13:50   #799  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac 64 View Post
And AVX isn't supported on even the newest Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake-based Pentium and Celeron CPUs either (and no, I don't mean the low-power Atom-based Celerons & Pentiums), including the ever-popular 2c/4t Pentium CPUs like the G4560 and G5400.
Very important point. I actually found that some multimedia devs weren't aware of this in the past, thinking they only need to write AVX2 now. It's rather unfortunate that Intel insists on this.

The Atom cores matter too though, IMHO. There is a huge number of devices with them and they actually improve a lot currently (Goldmont, Goldmont+), much more than Intel big cores. Yet they still keep only 128bit SIMD (SSE-SSE4) so it would really be good if the devs of important format's decoders took time to implement SSE* functions and not just AVX2 ones. After all, there is also a huge number of fast CPUs that don't have AVX2, like Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs a la i5-2500/2400 or i7-2600K.

---------------------------
Hmm, BTW. Are there some good estimates as to what CPU will be needed for comfortable decoding of 4K content (24 - 30 fps) in AV1 with all bells and whistles of the format used? (10bit etc, all the compression tools on, high bitrates including spikes in motion, VBR with no streaming-style constraints...). With some sane headroom.

Last edited by mandarinka; 29th July 2018 at 14:06.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote