View Single Post
Old 12th March 2019, 17:48   #10  |  Link
maxkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Out of curiosity, which LG OLED do you have? How long have you had it?

You do not want to use a 3D LUT for HDR -> HDR, mainly because a 3D LUT is static. So, that leaves you with two options: pass-through HDR or pixel shader. HDR -> SDR. I have an LG C7, and I currently still use pass-through, partly because my GTX 960 is not powerful enough to do pixel shader math (with the test builds), and also because pass-through is able to use the full brightness of the display. I do use 3D LUTs for SDR, though.

In my experience, these OLEDs need very few tweaks out of the box. Most importantly, find the correct brightness setting for your panel. In my case, this was 51 for both SDR and HDR. You can verify this by using an all black test pattern in a dark room. Lower the brightness below 50 first, then raise it one by one until the panel starts to show the faintest glow. Then lower brightness by one. That's the correct setting. If you want to tweak it further, go into the 20-point white-balance setting, find 5% adjustment, and raise its luminance setting by a bit. Best to do that while looking at a brightness pattern in a dark room.

Make sure you're in Technicolor Expert mode for SDR and HDR, Cinema (not Cinema Home) for Dolby Vision. For SDR, raise OLED light to your liking, if you feel default is too dark. I'm in a dark room, and mine is set to 45, for example. Leave contrast at defaults. Turn off any energy saving features. Leave gamut at AUTO, unless you use a proper 3D LUT made for your panel

On the LG, set Black Level to HIGH. Set video driver to 8-bit RGB Full for all frequency combos, due to increased banding on OLEDs with 12-bit. Set madVR display properties to 8-bit for SDR, Auto for HDR (due to a bug it's best to create two profiles at the moment, using the (bitdepth) trigger). Set LAV video filters to use D3D11 (Automatic), everything else at defaults.

Make sure your TV actually goes into HDR mode when watching HDR content. If you don't see the logo in the upper right hand corner, you know something's wrong. That's pretty much it. Your picture shouldn't look dark or washed out at all.

Hope that helps. And please don't use random 3D LUTs!
I got the 04.70.85 software version
Lg tv is oled55c7v
Had it for about 5 months or somethin.

It won't show any HDR on the tv, tv might flash or change brightness a bit not sure.

If I choose tonemap HDR using pixel shaders I won't see any difference from 'let madvr decide' option (which basically means off option). Not sure what's going on here.
I changed the settings to 23hz and full rgb 8bpc just to verify and deep color on as I'm testing this.

If in 23hz actually can see all the shades on that test image perfectly, go figure. I'll test your instructions at some point too.

I've been using technicolor bright room setting but also tried the technicolor expert however the settings is in USER mode not cinema like you say, how do I change this?
I have the tv in PC icon.

I asked this in another thread got no answer about LAV Video, I don't have the LAV Video? I only use MadVR and LAV Audio in external filters, what LAV Video setting are you talking about where do I find this setting?

Can you send me the pixel shader files and your 3d lut bro, I'd love to test them!
maxkill is offline   Reply With Quote