View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:12   #7504  |  Link
alc0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Dialnorm can be set to any value between 0 and 31. According to the AC3 specification both 0 and 31 means: No dialnorm processing. Now any dialnorm processing *lowers* the volume of the audio track. That means removing the dialnorm (which is what eac3to is doing) should result in *higher* volume. Currently eac3to sets dialnorm to 0. Unfortunetely dialnorm set to 1 means lowering volume a lot. So incorrectly working decoders might think that a dialnorm value of 0 means even lower volume than dialnorm 1. But the documentation clearly states that a dialnorm value of 0 shall be treated as "no dialnorm processing" (which means max volume). And all the PC AC3 decoders correctly see value 0 as "dialnorm processing deactivated".

IMHO the decoders in the PS3 and Panasonic are not working correctly. Or maybe my AC3 specification is outdated? Anyway, the documentation clearly says that dialnorm 0 is "reserved". So I think it's not really good that eac3to uses it. That means I'll change it to 31 in the next build. I think that should fix the problem you're seeing. However, I believe to remember that some Sony Blu-Rays had a dialnorm value of 0, too. Well, anyway...
So is there a command in eac3to to do the reverse that the dialog normalization does? As in re-apply the normalization? Say an audio track had -27 dialog normalization. If I process the .ac3 track with +27db switch (that's already had the dialog normalization removed) will that reverse the process?

Does dialog normalization only decrease the volume of the center channel? Or is it a flat volume decrease across all channels? I ask because then the +db switch might work to accomplish my goal.

Let's say you tell me the +db command will accomplish exactly what I'm trying to accomplish...do I need any of the 3rd party encoders? Because up to this point I have not needed them since I'm just extracting the audio not converting it. I'm assuming there's no conversion done with you apply a +/- audio gain, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by alc0re; 23rd December 2008 at 18:18.