View Single Post
Old 5th December 2012, 10:21   #15981  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I can't see anything wrong in the log, except that the rendering of the first two frames takes 113ms and 56ms. All remaining frames are rendered in < 5ms. Not sure why this happens.

Does madVR v0.85.1 behave differently on your PC? You do not have that 0.5 seconds of transparent window with v0.85.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Ouh, messing with colorimetry blindly without a meter? All I know is that the brightness/contrast/saturation settings all seem to work fine in PotP but these can't convert levels apparently so I don't really understand their point.
If you don't find these controls useful, you don't have to use them... I'll probably not use the "display color control" settings myself, but some people might find them useful, what do I know. I've added them for completeness sake and because some displays do not have good controls for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
The custom levels hotkeys are great news though, but pressing the same hotkeys 20/30 times in a row(for really broken encodes) doesn't really sound too manageable
Well, you can press the key and hold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
Thanks so much for this option..i always had probs with the standart ranges on my hdtv, now with custom settings (10 - 255) its PERFECT..
madvr is now the best renderer out there for me..nothing can beat it in tearms of quality, functionality and more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the "contrast" adjustment - it seems like it might not be done with much precision, or it's just highlighting compression etc. very quickly.
It's done with the highest precision the GPU allows (32bit float). I'm not sure myself how useful such a contrast adjustment is, but it does exactly what it's supposed to do (from what I can see). Maybe nobody will use it, but it's there, because all the color control dialogs have a contrast setting, so I need to offer some algorithm for that.

Quote:
However, I still don't find DXVA2 to be much use on Nvidia. It's basically Bilinear scaling with a sharpening filter applied, and render times are still very high for how it looks.

With 1080p at 2x, I get 6ms for Bilinear Chroma & Luma.
With DXVA2 I get a large spike at the start of playback (over 1100ms) and then it settles at 56ms.

DXVA2 also has worse image quality than Bilinear Luma & Chroma in madVR due to the increased ringing and aliasing from the sharpening used.

With 1080p at 2x, I can run Bicubic 75 AR Chroma with Lanczos 3 Luma at 37ms total, or with Mitchell-Netravali Luma for 27ms.
Ok, seems DXVA scaling is not all that useful for NVidia users. But for Intel users, the situation is very different, I think.

Quote:
If I understand things correctly, if I set LAV Video to "DXVA2 Native" you now perform your own "copy-back" function, instead of using LAV Video's copy-back function, is that right?

From a two minute sample clip:

DXVA2 N: 84% GPU, 72% MCU, 24% VPU peak usage.
DXVA2CB: 83% GPU, 71% MCU, 20% VPU peak usage.
That's correct. Hmmmm... I wonder why Native consumes more GPU power than Callback. Anyway, what does CPU usage say? Is it higher with Native, too?

Quote:
I don't think I have any examples to hand, but there have definitely been one or two films in the last year that I've seen where a slight gamma bump would be useful. (-contrast in the new controls)
Gamma change would be "brightness", not "contrast".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Why the need for brightness/contrast settings? I already calibrate with a Spyder 2
Well, you don't have to use the madVR brightness/contrast settings. Just set them to 0, then madVR will even disable the shader code, so there's no disadvantage for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
I understand that it is ideal to have the doubled framerate, but if I can't manage it without dropped frames, I would prefer to not have it if possible.
In this case, yea, I think film mode would be appropriate, but I can't get it to work without changing the fps to 50p. Do I have to turn off deinterlacing first?
The problem is that deinterlacing in half framerate will also seriously damage deinterlacing quality. So I don't think offering that is a good idea. Film mode only works with software decoding (or CUDA or "copyback" in LAV). It doesn't work when using native DXVA2 decoding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
With MS DTV-DVD decoder + madVR 0.82.5 + Bi-linear Chroma (actually DXVA2 scaling ?) + DXVA2 Luma scaling + DXVA2 deinterlace, SandyBridge Core i5-2467M (1.6GHz, Turbo Boost 2.3GHz) + HD3000 is now capable of processing 1440x1080i30 --> 1920x1080p60 FSE. I think this is an important achievement for madVR to be useful on less powerful GPU HW.

And colors are alright? FWIW, this way you only get 8bit YCbCr to RGB conversion with the current Intel drivers, unfortunately. I hope this will be fixed with a future Intel driver version. And yes, chroma upsampling is done by Intel/DXVA2 in this configuration, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
1-The "device controls" colour ,brigthness , etc appear grey and do nothing, I'm I missing something?
The edit boxes are grey, but the left/right buttons should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
2- Where can I find the names for "special" keys to use in shortcuts?
the keystrokes are not detected I must write them
Here's a list of currently supported special keys. Your keyboard may not have all of these keys:

Code:
Back, Tab, Clear, Return, Pause, Break, Esc, Space, PageUp, PageDown, End, Home, Left, Up, Right, Down,
Select, Print, Execute, Insert, Delete, Help, Win, Apps, Sleep, NumPad0..9, Multiply, Add, Decimal, Substract, Divide, 
F1-F24, NumLock, Scroll, BrowserBack, BrowserForward, BrowserRefresh, BrowserStop, BrowserSearch, BrowserFavorites, BrowserHome, 
VolumeMute, VolumeDown, VolumeUp, MediaNextTrack, MediaPrevTrack, MediaStop, MediaPlayPause, 
LaunchMail, LaunchMediaSelect, LaunchApp1, LaunchApp2, Play, Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by manma View Post
Is it normal for madvr to make your GPU usage shoot up intermittently while watching a video? Like, say I get 30 minutes of smooth playback, and then out of nowhere my GPU usage jumps up to 99% and madvr starts dropping frames every which way. I can't seem to pinpoint the "type" of video it does this too either. It just seems random. If it matters, I'm having this problem on both my GTX 460 and my Intel HD3000 (Jinc4 on the former and Spline3 on the latter).
No, this is not normal at all. Maybe you have some other applications which use the GPU? E.g. some newer browsers do. Or maybe some software like SETI running in the background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disto View Post
Thank You madshi for all of your work.I have one feature request.Can you please add an option for custom Gamma correction like you did for brightness and saturation.Maybe something with slider or something like ffdshow or potplayer.
madVR "brightness" control = Gamma adjustments.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote