View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2003, 05:13   #6  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

nice, nice work.

one situation i can see problems with, even with all your suggested improvements would be hybrid NTSC clips converted to PAL. this, after all is the reason loads of anime is simply run through a converter box rather than IVTC'd and sped up.

take "excel saga" for example - there's chunks of raw video in there at very unpredictable places (anybody see "bowling girls"?). so on top of blended fields, you'll have some nightmares at field matching and detecting progressive frames when the script hits one of these bits.

this may not be too bad a problem in practice - i haven't tested your script yet, but in the past other methods i've tried haven't fallen over too badly, at least perceptually.

Quote:
Therefore, it is possible that the sum of "darker, but more" edge lines is equal, or even higher than the sum of "fewer, but brighter" edge lines
it seems to me this could be solved by simply whacking a levels(0,.75,255,0,255) in there - by decreasing gamma, the middle range will be pushed down more than the higher range, making the sum of 2 blends less than 1 not-blend. hope you get what i mean.

keep up the good work! i'd love to see this as a plugin (i'm not expecting you to bust yourself writing one for me though)