Thread: CCE Quality
View Single Post
Old 29th November 2002, 23:01   #6  |  Link
Stabmaster-Arson

The Sopranos are progrssive and anamorphic widescreen. I have the same issues. I just encoded season 3 episode 2 with cce 2.64, 3 pass, average 2050 min 1700 max 2500, using nt4 SP5 compatibility mode on windows 2000.

My avisynth file looks like this

loadplugin(mpeg2dec.dll)
avisource(c:\sop\sop.d2v)
bicubicresize(480,360)
addborders(0,60,0,60)
resampleaudio(44,100)
I left all other cce settings default except the one where you slide it left to put more bits for complex scene, i moved it a little left.

I did 3 passes and it was very very fast, about 1 hour 30 minute onmy dual P3 800 machine.

The output quality is terrible. An when I say terrible I do not mean that someone else may look at it and thik it looks good, I mean anyone looking at it would instantly recognize it as being terrible. It is unclear and has kind of a ghosting or rippling effect around edges.
I encoded episode 301 using tmpgenc, 2 pass, let tmpgenc do all the resizing for me with the same bitrates. It took 25 hours to do (Which is an issue for another forum), but the final quality is fantastic.

Is there something im missing here?

I really enjoy the speed of the compression but it won't do me any good if I can't get the quality.
Stabmaster-Arson is offline   Reply With Quote