View Single Post
Old 29th September 2009, 08:13   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

How important is this layer break actually?

I burned a lot of DLs with nero and various recorders with no layer break at all. A Pio recorder, a Pio player, a JVC recorder and a Scott player (to have a representant from the "lower class", too) played the discs with no problems at all. Friends of mine have seen the DVDs also with no problems (at least 1 Philips player and several nonames too).

I'm by no means an expert, however I know that the layer break is actually a command (that like all commands should be placed at the boundaries of a cell, most usually as a post command attached to the last cell before the layer change) that instructs the player to wait a bit so that the optical pickup would have some time to readjust its focus for the second layer.

However, since all DVD recorders I know burn the DLs as OTPs, this time is almost 0 (due to buffering and reading speed that is higher than 1x - the optical pickup does not change its position, only the focus). The only remaining issue is to establish where the physical change will occur - OTP requires that the second layer be at most equal to the first one. And I think nero does it automatically.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote