View Single Post
Old 19th December 2011, 10:56   #5  |  Link
nhope
partially-informed layman

Thank you Didée.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
First of all, the footage is too bright. Blackpoint seems to be at 30~32 RGB, which is too high. Depending on the RGB<>YUV conversion standard, this is either 16 points too high ("Studio RGB"), or 32 points too high (sRGB).
Do you say this based on the screenshot, or the original DV, or the upscaled avi, or the YouTube video (or all 4)?

For the streetseller, the footage is more or less what came out of my Sony VX2000 on auto-exposure. After clipping to 16-235 with a curve, my histogram in Sony Vegas Pro looks like this:

I suppose the part below 32 may be mostly noise, but to me the levels look pretty good once the Adobe Flash Player has mapped them out to 0-255 on the YouTube page. There are no true blacks here anyway.

Quote:
With levels corrected, you'll find the footage has more overall contrast, and less need for sharpening. (Perhaps it could be sharpened a 'lil bit, but then, it would be beneficial if the already-present "edge-enhancement" (dark halos beneath bright features) would be removed prior to that.)
How would you recommend I do that? Perhaps a different resizing kernel in the NNEDI_rpow2 function, instead of Spline36? Ot is there a filter that can do it?

To me, the video with the LSFmod sharpening looks vastly superior to that without, before sending to YouTube.
nhope is offline   Reply With Quote