View Single Post
Old 26th May 2004, 13:23   #474  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: Re: Re: No good results

Quote:
Originally posted by specise_8472
My Ambiophonics methods are based upon this. I have kicking around somewhere in my backups, my VST version of MM.
Hey, if you find it, please upload it! That would be very cool. By the way, MM is now part of the new AC3Filter release candidate. I noticed last night when playing with it that adding a 20ms delay to the left rear and 30ms to the right (in the filter's own delay pane) really gave me that big spread I hear in commercial 5.1 releases. The delay isn't really big enough to produce discreet echoes, but it does work well at giving the sound a sense of space. The 10ms difference between channels is based on the "TISDU" method used by traders of live mono recordings who use the delay to simulate stereo.

Quote:
Try my Allinone VST for rear channel seperation. It is 3rd order and computes the rears independant of each other. What I have done to really enhance the seperation all round is to use my x-talk impulses.

Just use three instances of SIR.
Left and Right Fronts using one of the front impulses.
Left and Right Surround using one of the Rear Impulses.
Center using the Zero impulse.

Really spreads out the sound image. And by feeding all signals through SIR's there is no delay.
Actually I tried the AllinOne VST again last night and I'm afraid I had the same problem with it as with the ambisonics methods (no separation, rears sound like copies of the fronts), but I forgot about the impulses. I had read about them in the thread a few weeks ago and downloaded them but I forgot about them last night. I look forward to trying them with the Allinone.

By the way, instead of loading a SIR with no impulse, why not try what I did in v2 of my MM Emulator? Add a Plogue Delay Line and connect a Plogue Constant to its right pin entering the SIR delay value (8960 for v1.005, or 16384 for SIR 0.86). This does the same thing without having to load in an entire instance of SIR.

Quote:
At the moment, among other things, I am working on a better V3 ambiophonic mix using some enhanced methods to extract better channel seperation.
Sounds cool. Getting the separation into it makes the sound come alive and gives the sense of realistic space.