View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:58   #209  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman241 View Post
I've downloaded the latest 1.03 release and found the following:

1. I split 4G+ MKV files using MKVMergeGUI to 2.5G chunks

2. I then run mkv2vob separately so that I end up with VOBs smaller than 4G to put on a FAT32 USB drive to play on the PS3

Latest mkv2vob would always transcode the second MKV part of the file to MPEG-2, but not the first one

So, an Enemy of the State 720p.001.mkv and 002.mkv

mkv2vob would only remux 001.mkv very quickly, but would always transcode 002.mkv

Any ideas?

Update 1: Have just ran mkv2vob 1.02 on the same files and performs as expected without transcoding. I presume something has changed in 1.03 when it tries to determine whether the file is playable on the PS3 and for some reason decides it's not and transcodes.

I am also trying to convert mkv into vob for play on ps3 through a fat32 hdd. Is it really better to split the .mkv rathe then the .vob? I had trouble finding a prog that could split a .vob. I used HDBDSplitGUI and it did split the .vob into 2 parts smaller then 4gb but the second part would not play on ps3 (or on the pc i dont think either). So i'm trying mkvmergegui to split the mkv first and then run mkv2vob on both parts.

I think mkv2vob 1.3 fixes the previous problem with a split .mkv as long as you hit no to transcoding to mpeg2 or whatever.

having to split the mkv and then run mkv2vob on both is a bit of work but it still is much quicker then encoding an mkv into wmv.
Quatre is offline   Reply With Quote