View Single Post
Old 11th January 2004, 02:25   #8  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Super-slim Windows RealPlayer?

@thop: you are preaching to the choir. With this I mean that most of the techie people at RealNetworks, developers as well as many others, agree. RealPlayer 10 is one good step in the right direction of behaving nicer, but it may not be enough, considering how bad the reputation is (yes, we do get the feedback, us developers more than the marketeers, since chances are higher we read the tech forums).

A super-slim player is perhaps what we need to earn back trust. The Helix Player will be such a player on Linux. RealOne for OS X is actually also exactly what you suggest, no extras. It has gotten plenty of good feedback. It's the Windows version that includes everything but the kitchen sink.

At least I am happy there are alternatives on Windows, such that the use of RV10 is not prevented by lack of player choice.

Volume slider
Also, I am sad to report that the volume slider will not be fixed anytime soon. It worked the right way for a while, but I received a reply that indicated it was reverted to the old behavior, because usability tests indicated some users were not able to adjust the volume when they wanted to, specifically when a flash app in the browser part of RealPlayer was making sound. Sorry. This is another example how we perhaps could use a lean and mean Windows player for the experienced computer user.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 1st February 2004 at 15:08.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote