View Single Post
Old 29th April 2011, 12:36   #19  |  Link
deathlord

Great!

Mark_A_W, thanks again very much for pointing out the auto-loading presets! It is working!

First of all, I have confirmed the three scenarios described in the first post behave exactly the same way when using MPC HC, madFlac Source/File Source (Async.) and reclock in direct sound/WASAPI mode.

Now I did the following (I'll write dummy stile, just to make sure it is reproducible):

Win7x64
MPC HC 1.5.1.2903
ffdshow tryouts 3184
madFlac 1.10
ReClock 1.8.7.3
Haali Media Splitter 03/03/2011 (for flac in mkv container)

- disable all internal filters in MPC
- go to external filters, add and prefer:
- Haali Media Splitter (AR)
- madFlac Decoder
- madFlac Source
- ffdshow audio processor
- double click on ffdshow audio processor
- go to codecs, make sure it says Uncompressed: all supported
- go to Profiles/Preset settings
- Add a new Preset named "8_Channel"
- double click on it to activate it
- open Preset autoload conditions
- activate "on number of channels match", enter "8", close the window
- activate Automatic preset loading at the bottom
- go to Swap channels, activate it
- set it to swap side to back
(alternatively, you can use 6 channels and go to mixer and enter the matrix of your choice)
- press ok

Now the Preset "8_Channel" should load automatically whenever an 8 channel source is played.
You can check if it is loaded: During playback, go to Play->Filters->ffdshow Audio Processor->Properties->Profiles/Preset settings
where the active preset is shown at the top.

I have tested this to work for both wav and flac files for both my soundcards. Flac in an mkv container is also working.

For my RME card, this solves the problem for all situations in which I can use ffdshow audio processor (in particular: MPC movie playback).

Now of course for soundcards that behave differenty for different file formats, the above works only for some formats (e.g. flac). But this is no problem:

In the Preset autoload conditions, make sure
"On all conditions match (AND)" is active, then activate also
"on movie file name match (with wildcards)"
and enter all file formats that need swapping for 8 channels, separated by semicolons, e.g. "*.flac"

I have found this to work aswell.

To summarize:
The 5.1/7.1 channel swapping problem can be solved in direct show players by using the auto-loading presets feature found in ffdshow audio processor.

Of course the problem remains in non-direct show players like foobar2000 and vlc. It also remains in Linux.

Also, it would still be interesting to understand why some soundcards behave differently with different file formats (is WASAPI really used, according to the reclock info display: yes).

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this thread!

Cheers
deathlord

Last edited by deathlord; 29th April 2011 at 14:34.
deathlord is offline   Reply With Quote