View Single Post
Old 18th January 2010, 02:05   #2002  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
you can pimp LCD as much as you want, it'll still go through polycarbonate...which carries a very low constringence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbe_number

here's a very good link(in french unfortunately): http://pages.globetrotter.net/assoqc...4_4_virah.html

thick mineral glass goes up to 58 Abbe, polycarbonate 32...so twice more light dispersion

add the anti-glare panel on top of it, and MTF sharpness is just down the drain...no matter what you'll do, the panel itself will always be the weakest link.

I personnaly cannot stand polycarbonate glasses(they give me the feeling to watch through recycled Coke bottles, which they are...technically )

anyway, we should all enjoy our current set ups(I sure as hell do!) and eagerly wait for the next madVR update....so much time has passed, it'll be a blast for sure
As I said, every technology has its weaknesses. Going CRT-LCD was such a wonderful gift to my eyes, no more lame geometry problems. Letters are letters, not a blurry mess. The sensation of perfectly defined lines was amazing. I don't care about MFT sharpness, the faulty geometry kills sharpness and perceived resolution a lot more. However color reproduction and other things were (and still are except in very few models) just terrible.

About the mineral glass light dispersion, while that's true in the end what matters is how it looks, and for me reflections caused by the glass were a lot more "experience killers" than any advantage the glass could have. I don't care if polycarbonate has twice the light dispersion or if the anti-glare panel scatters the light coming from the monitor if the image that has to go through it perfectly defined, in the end you still have a much more detailed and sharp image than any CRT can produce. To each its own
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote