Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 17th September 2013, 20:37   #30  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Please let me try to express myself just once more, one last time, because there was some bad choice of words in the discussion with neuron2 that lead to misunderstandings.

I have made multiple commits over the course of a month, IMHO improving Avisynth's code in many different aspects. When submitting my changes, I ...
  • published my changes with full history on GitHub,
  • I based my work on the latest commits by upstream,
  • I have clearly separated commits,
  • I moved files in different commits than I made changes, so that changes are not obscured,
  • I am willing to further patch up my work based on suggestions after a review,
  • and the code I submit is commented.

Hence, I think that my commits are upstream-friendly, with the worst offender being the file moves. The friction between us is that you tend to view my changes as a bunch of patches, where I, unfortunately, messed up by reorganizing files before the patches. However, I'd like you to look at my file moves as part of the improvements too. I didn't reorganize the folder just because I was feeling like it. They are meant to be part of the improvements, and I feel the new folders make the project structure much more logical, because:
  • I have moved files and libraries which are part of the core into the core.
  • I have moved files and libraries which are NOT part of the core out of the core.
  • I have separated non-essential filters into plugin DLLs.
  • I have reduced the dependencies on 3rd-party code.
  • And, by all the above, I also have made it easier for new contributors to find the files they are looking for,
  • and easier to get a grip on the project.

So, me moving files around is meant to be part of the changes, not some extra stuff that I messed up by chance. And I sure have not "randomized" the locations like IanB put it.

This work took me a month, and as an example, my whole last weekend. In total more than a full day was spent merging, rebasing and cleaning up commits, because there were orignally about 1.5x-2x as many. So yes, I think I've been a good and diligent contributor. The only "bad" things left are the file moves, but I'd prefer not to get rid of them as they ARE part of the improvements, because of the numerous reasons that I have listed above. (And yes, please also note that I can argument why the folder structure is better this way.)

And when I publish my work, people tell me they don't even want to take a peek at any of my work just because they wouldn't have moved files in the first 2-3 commits (which are also improvements), even though it would take them only a fraction of the time that I needed to implement the whole thing. Whereas, if they did, they might even find that the moves make sense.

I hope I managed to bring you closer to my point of view.

Last edited by ultim; 17th September 2013 at 21:21.