View Single Post
Old 31st May 2019, 13:30   #1703  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Last time I tried rav1e 2019-04-30 and it was SLOW AS HELL, like < 1 fps.
If it was on Windows, it is possible you downloaded a build with assembly disabled. Last time I ran test, it was the case (official windows build from the project), and I only got that information like two weeks later after spending days watching the atrociously slow FPS counter. I guess devs expect everybody interested to be on Linux or something. Naturally it would help if the encoder signalled assembly being used like good old x264/x265 do (good idea for linux distros too, because there used to be clueless packagers that disabled ASM accidentaly) or warned when it's not, but I think nobody got around to code that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Encoders are no longer being made for this crowd. The primary design goal is massive-scale cloud encoding for YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and everyone else that fits the encode-once, download hundreds of thousands of times scenario.

In such a scenario, even the slowest encoder is acceptable if it saves enough bytes.

In that scenario, VP9 also didn't fail. It gets used for a lot of content on the web.
Sadly it's not just about speed, but about quality too. They seem to just care about some metrics on low bitrate content, actual high quality encoding with transparent quality gets a finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its not a design target for the codec itself, because the codec really doesn't care. I'm talking about encoders. The huge open-source push that made x264 as great as it is for "personal" encodes is unlikely to repeat itself. Companies driving encoder development do not target doom9ers. You can already see this on x265 where the community involvement is pretty low, and this will only get worse as the computational complexity of codecs goes up and the "personal use" usecases get less attractive.

This will not change with any future codec. Not with AV2, not with VVC, or anything that follows. The computational complexity increase in all those future codecs just makes it impractical for "hobbyist" use.
There might also be another factor at play: Google and friends siphon away those enthusiasts to work on decoders/encoders for whatever formats they come with. I guess the developers are happy doing that, but I can't help thinking that resource/creative power was kind of wasted polishing me too project like VP9, which never got good anyway. Perhaps it will be a waste with AV1 too, we shall see (hopefully not but track record from predecessors isn't good).

Last edited by mandarinka; 31st May 2019 at 13:44.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote