View Single Post
Old 16th January 2013, 21:11   #16962  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You'll get ringing in any case. Audio upsampling isn't so very different from video upsampling.
That's true, but SSRC seems to do very well on these characteristics: http://src.infinitewave.ca/

I was able to find examples where the Libsamplerate resampler (the default) produced audible aliasing. (in tests specifically designed to reveal it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I disagree. If you have managed to get the refresh rate close enough, there shouldn't be frame drops/repeats long enough to play the longest movie out there, rendering Reclock's resampling/sync corrections useless. In that case it does make a lot of sense to enable the "slave reference clock to audio" option, so that you can get kernel mode streaming without having to resample audio.
I think that's a nice idea in theory, but it depends where the point it has to drop frames is. While your current sync may theoretically allow for 10 hours of playback without dropped/repeated frames, in practice that point seems to happen during a film. At least I've never had perfect playback even when my refresh has been 24.00008 and the content is 24fps native, for example.

And with Windows 8, until this refresh rate bug gets sorted (unclear on whether it's Nvidia, Windows 8, or madVR at fault) you don't necessarily have the option for perfect timings. I can't get 24Hz playback in Fullscreen Exclusive any more, and a large number of my Blu-rays are 24.0fps, not 23.976.

Something I thought was interesting, and may be somewhat related; when playing Deus Ex Human Revolution the other night, it gives me the full list of resolutions and refresh rates to choose from in the config, when set to DX9. If I enable DirectX 11, I can only choose 59Hz. I don't know if that's just the game, or something that's happening with Windows 8, but maybe that has something to do with it? (I know madVR shouldn't be using DX11 now)

And if your sync is good enough that ReClock shouldn't have to do any work... then won't it not do any resampling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Fair enough; I rarely consider "telecined content" (2:3 pulldown) since it doesn't exist in "PAL regions", thus I never encounter it.

Also, wouldn't that technically be detelecining/IVTC, not deinterlacing?
You still need 2:2 pulldown with a lot of PAL film content. In fact, I have my madVR deinterlacing settings set to force Film mode by default, because it is often not selected with these titles, and it is rare that I encounter Video content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Video Mode deinterlacing of telecined PAL just results in 50p, even if it would be supposed to only be 25p, so usually we never notice any such problems.
Halved resolution is noticeable to me. I need to have madVR force film-mode deinterlacing.

With all this talk of deinterlacing, I'll have to get a sample of another film that I just recently received, which is giving poor results regardless of what I set. I suspect it's a mastering issue, but I might as well upload it to see if there's anything that can be done. I'll try and get something up within the hour.
EDIT: Won't be for a while now, something came up.

Last edited by 6233638; 16th January 2013 at 22:16.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote