View Single Post
Old 28th July 2016, 19:15   #4064  |  Link
brumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khun_Doug View Post
You surely asked a good question aymanalz, and one that I have pondered abundantly lately. For the time being I have decided to stay with x264 until the speed of x265 gets some serious attention. The price of disk is cheap. I added 5TB USB for just over $100. With x264 I usually encode at CRF 20, but sometimes as low as CRF 15. For my HD media I usually go 2 pass with nothing short of 10,000 kbit. I did some test encodes with x265 and calculated the encode time for a full movie would be in excess of 48 hours of solid machine time. The same film encodes in under 5 hours in x264. I don't care that the encoded film is 8 GB in x264 and may be les sin x265. I don't have 48 hours or more of dedicated machine time to use for single encodes.

I can revisit using x265 seriously for my video library once the speed issue is resolved. In the meantime, I am enjoying testing and evaluating it. I feel there is great promise and progress forthcoming.
Disk space is pretty cheap. However, I do like the lower bitrate for streaming media.
brumsky is offline   Reply With Quote