View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011, 13:33   #104  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Maybe my overly paranoid view of the need for high burn quality comes from a DVD player I used to own years ago. It's the main reason I started on my "re-burn everything, must be good quality crusade", as it was terrible at reading anything but good quality discs (it'd stutter or the picture would become blocky etc). However despite the burn quality tests I ran today being so poor, nobody in the house has ever complained about a current DVD player not being able to play any of those discs. And my Pioneer drive could pull the files off them even though it had to slow down to read the end of the second disc.
And of course I've been given discs burned by other people on many occasions (got to love laptop DVD burners) which have presented quite a struggle to copy their files, even with a PC's drive.... oh well, I guess even if I've been overly paranoid at least I should be assured the discs I keep will last a long time..... and I'm starting to feel more confident that even the bad burns Wantangobi posted (which are excellent compared to the discs I just tested) should be readable for many years to come.

Anyway.... I'll run some more tests on my good discs a little later as I'm curious as to what the results will be.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote