Thread: VHQ manual
View Single Post
Old 12th February 2003, 15:46   #1  |  Link
sysKin

VHQ manual

[edit more than 2 years later]: this info is absolete. VHQ always improves quality, works with GMC and in fact also with b-frames, and it has no known bugs [/edit]

Hey.
I welcome every xvid alpha tester here.

As you might have noticed, the newest uManiac's build contains a new feature called VHQ.

VHQ stands or whatever you want, but Koepi said it's 'vastly hyped quality'. As far as I'm concerned it might mean 'very handsome qaligosaur'.

Important is what it does.
It does two things - first, it is able to compute the number of bits a macroblock would take in different scenarios and choose the scenario which shows the smallest number. Second, it can do some limited motion vector seach to minimize the bits for a given scenario. The 'scenarios' are macroblock modes - there can be one vector (we can look for it using this tool), four vectors (we can also look for them) or the macroblock can be intra (nothing to look for here).
As you can see (I hope?) it doesn't change quality at fixed quantizer - it reduces number of bits at fixed quantizer.

VHQ is only used in P-frames. In I-frames it doesn't have anything to do. It is possible in B-frames, but it's not there (yet? dunno, don't look at me).

It works with bframes, qpel, chroma, lumimasking etc.
It doesn't work with GMC yet. <-- until further notice. please remember that. I mean it.

There are several possible levels of additional search. Koepi and I decided to make four levels in the configuration - first is mode decision alone (without any search), next include additional search patters and are much slower.

OK, what have I forgotten?
Ah yes.
This is the first release and it's obviously buggy Current number of known bugs is: 0. Number of expected bugs is about 7649321 and a half.

If you feel like testing, you're welcome. Please share your comments and suggestions.
If you see a bug, do the following:
1. make sure GMC is disabled
2. check if it hasn't been reported before
3. report it here

And most importantly: Have fun testing.

Best regards,
Radek 'sysKin' Czyz

Last edited by sysKin; 28th March 2005 at 14:22.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote