PDA

View Full Version : AAC to MP3 using foobar2000 ??

fimmwolf
28th August 2005, 16:44
Hi,

I have a *.mkv (matroska) movie I'd like to convert.

In one of the tutorials I read it said I should extract the contents of the *.mkv file
(which I have done) and then convert the *.aac file to *.mp3 using dbpoweramp music converter

Problem was I kept getting this error The CODEC required to compress 'C:\interesting_movie\Track3.mp3' could not be opened.

So I downloaded BeSweet and BeLight. Only to discover it doesn't accept *.aac as an input filetype. (groan)

So now I'm trying to do it with foobar2000. (with no more joy than before)

I don't have any "output preset" for mp3 and I'm not sure how to create one.

I have lame.exe and lame_enc.dll in the foobar directory, but that's it.

Please help! :thanks:

Mug Funky
28th August 2005, 16:55
if you installed the special version of foobar (with the diskwriter enabled), there should be a template in the diskwriter called "commandline encoder: LAME --alt-preset standard". this should be what you want, or if you want CBR (for max avi compatibility), you can edit the encoding preset with the appropriate LAME CLI switches and save your own preset.

but i must say - transcoding lossy-to-lossy is a bad idea and should only be done if absolutely necessary.

with that said, i've worked with some sources that are obviously ex-lossy audio, and in these cases there's not really much to be done except just encode it and hope nobody will notice (or be too offended if they do).

fimmwolf
29th August 2005, 07:56
Thanks for the reply Mug Funky.

The reason I wanted to convert the movie was because I couldn't get the matroska codecs to work in winamp, media player, or media player classic. I tried both the "Lazy mans pack" as well as the "full pack" version 1.1.1 with no success.

It also turns out that I had the "vanilla" version of foobar, not the special edition you mentioned, which I have since downloaded.

In the end someone told me I would be able to play the movie using vlc media player which supports the matroska media format by default and is also free.

So for now I've given up on trying to convert the movie, which, from what you said about lossy formats, isn't such a bad thing anyway.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.